Monday, June 19, 2006

Seitan with Cashews

My cousin Johanna is spending the summer at my house and we've resolved to help each other eat more healthfully--it's great having someone else to give you will power... We're avoiding refined sugar and white flour, but other than that, we're just trying to eat healthy, fresh, whole foods.

We were in a hurry tonight, and had to eat out of the pantry/fridge. I love the frozen organic brown rice from Trader Joe's. Since I'm often coming up with dinner ideas at the last minute--I sometimes don't have time to cook brown rice from scratch--I can heat this up in a couple of minutes, and it tastes great. Of course, when I think ahead, I still love to get out the rice cooker.

So I diced up some chicken-style seitan, and sautéed it with frozen snow-peas and broccoli. I made a sauce with corn-starch, water, tamari, a tiny bit of agave syrup and gomaiso (a seaweed and sesame-seed seasoning).

We served it over the rice--it was a big hit with all but baby Jay, who's a bit of a picky eater--he liked the rice, but he still prefers his food unseasoned--i.e. raw tofu, plain vegetables. He will it pasta with tomato sauce, so maybe there's hope! I've read that children need to be exposed to new food sometimes dozens of times before they develop a taste for it.

1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

Love this combo!!!