Friday, June 29, 2007

Edible

Don't you love food in edible containers? This past week, with bootie from our CSA box, I've made cabbage rolls--based on an old Syrian family recipe--using Gimme Lean in place of gound lamb--they really tasted like childhood to me... And on Wednesday night, this sort of calzone. The filling--butternut squash, leeks, greens, etc.--is based on one of my favorite recipes from a wonderful book In Nonna's Kitchen, a book of recipes and stories from Italy's grandmothers. Instead of the traditional savory pie crust, I used some Trader Joe's pizza dough that I had on hand. It was delicious, and my mom, who was visiting used up some old baguette by making a sort of roasted tomato bruschetta to compliment it. We also had salad from the CSA and a non-local bottle of shiraz.

Speaking of Edible, Have you heard of the Edible Communities newsletters? They're beautiful small magazines that highlight local food producers--they exist in many parts of the country, you can find out if there's one in your area on their web site. If there isn't, there's information on how to start your own. The current issue of Edible Chesapeake has a piece by local DC author Samuel Fromantz, who wrote Organic, Inc. The piece is reprinted on the web site, and talks frankly about what's better-- local or organic. I agree with him, that if you're making that decision, you're one of the 1-2% of the country that's an informed consumer and either will help the environment. The challenge is how to enlighten the remaining 98%.

2 comments:

The Purloined Letter said...

Yep--we found this magazine a couple of months ago. How lovely it is!

VeggieGirl said...

wow, that tart looks amazing! I checked out the Edible Communities website; great organization!