Friday, May 04, 2007

A Favorite Comfort Food

We actually had this dinner last night--but it's become a new family favorite, and since it's so easy, I thought it would make a good Friday night meal. When I was a kid, a favorite lunch for both my brother and me was grilled cheese with tomato soup. When I stopped eating heavily processed foods, it was a meal I missed. A couple of weeks ago, my friend Hillary told me about the Creamy Tomato Soup from Imagine foods. (And 'tho it's creamy, it's free of dairy and soy). It's not condensed and comes in a 32 oz. container, so one box feeds a family of four. We made grilled "cheese" with Vermont Organics Multigrain bread and Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheese (a mix of their cheddar and montery jack varieties). I served the meal with sliced apples, just like my mom used to. It was quick, yummy, and everyone (including my omnivore husband) devoured it.

Oh, a process note--my mom taught me to make grilled cheese by buttering the outside of the bread--I find with the soft breads I use, that's not necessarily enough fat on the pan itself, so I've been putting the grease (Earth Balance Margarine, in my case) on the skillet itself.

(x-posted to Hook and I)

No comments: