Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What's for Dinner? Fried Rice Recipe

So I've been having a bit of dinner inertia lately. I wonder, if I make a point to post a small entry about each night's meal, perhaps I'll put more thought into it or be more inspired.

I tend to do a lot of shortcut cooking these days--like using dehydrated onions or meals made with prefab veggie meats, but if my daugther Selma is getting healthy balanced meals, I don't worry too much about it. It does cost quite a bit more when you don't do things from scratch, and after a second week in a row of $100+ bills at Whole Foods, I'm thinking I should find ways to economize.

Tonight we had veggie fried rice. I make 1 1/2 cups of brown rice in the rice cooker early in the day. (It's also a great way to use up leftover rice) Then right before dinner I saute some frozen veggies ( 1 c. peas, 1/2 c. carrots, 1/2 c. green beans) and some dehydrated onion in canola oil. I add the rice and 1/2 lb. crumbled soft tofu or 4 beaten eggs for a non-vegan version.

Season with nama shoyu (soy sauce) and gomaiso (a sesame-seed seaweed mixture), and a dash of toasted sesame oil to taste.

If the rice is pre-cooked the whole meal takes about 15 minutes to make.

Yum!

Technorati Tags:

No comments: